My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic OC RP
Welcome to the forum! Here we aim to have fun role playing your own OC ponies and chat with your fellow bronies. Please say hi to us in the forum chatroom at the bottom of the home page and look at the rules to help get you started.
Welcome to the forum! Here we aim to have fun role playing your own OC ponies and chat with your fellow bronies. Please say hi to us in the forum chatroom at the bottom of the home page and look at the rules to help get you started.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Equestria everypony! Come and Roleplay with your MLP OC in Ponyville and many other places!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dark Tomes, Darker Tides

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  Empty
PostSubject: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Darkness had long settled upon Equestria, bathing the land in a wash of bliss. The moon shone high above, a beacon of hope for those lost within the shadows, while billions of twinkling stars served as more dazzling guides. The air was cool and crisp, naught even a cloud obscured the heavens.

While night was dim in itself, it managed to become darker still, and a dismal dank chill drifted down from an unknown origin. The high-society city of Canterlot was first to meet its embrace. Windows frosted over, shadows deepened, and a mysterious fog began seeping through the streets. Ever-alert guards shivered beneath their armor, small animals ran about seeking shelter, plants unfortunate enough to be exposed to the outdoors shriveled to mere husks of their former vitality.

Far from the castle, down one of the lesser streets of the residential plane, the most condensed darkness bloomed. It first amassed itself as a puddle of black, but the pool quickly scattered outward and thinned, forming symbols of an archaic nature in the process, which radiated with a bright red light. The color was reflected upon the sides of long-abandoned homes, crept through shattered glass windows, danced upon rusted pipes and debris. All at once, the writing unleashed the full force of its light, conjuring a beam that launched skywards, but only lasted a matter of seconds.

In its wake, the symbols were evaporated, though replaced by two figures. One was that of a mare, sheathed within a cloak of black, from which a long spiraled horn stuck out. Beside her would be her newest companion, a colt whom she had a special interest in. But rather than dolt on him, the unicorn looked about the 'ruins,' a frown plastered on her succulent lips. So much has changed.. Her eyelids grew heavy, their lashes curled upwards as they lowered, red eyes stared intensely upon an old home in peculiar. Has it truly been that long?

Her ears twisted, mind snapping back to attention- and the present. No doubt her spell had drawn some attention, so it was best they were on the move. "Keep close. Use the shadows to your advantage." Onyx whispered to her companion, as she took her own advice, and slipped into the nearest patch of black.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 am

Deep and chill darkness gave way to a lesser darkness and in the same instant heartspan was left looking into the ruins of old canterlot. His mind spun for just a moment as his senses restored themselves. He had never once traveled any distance via magic much less so great a distance. So this was the dark equivalent of teleportation he thought to himself. He gazed about at the desiccated buildings. He had never traveled into this area before, only seeing it from the high streets as he wandered the parks and high walkways, at least as far as he could seem to remember.

"Keep close. Use the shadows to your advantage." 

The deeply feminine voice brought him quickly out of his thoughts. He watched the delicate form of his companion disappear into the deeper of the nights shadows. He pulled his hood back up over his head and followed in her wake. She was a cautious one he thought as they made their way from the confines of the building. The more he thought about it the more he wondered at her past. She seemed so out of place or better said concerned with her place in the world. She was not much older than himself but she seemed worlds wiser than him. Heartspan smiled inwardly at the thought. She seemed the sort that he imagined all spell casters should emulate.

He thought about what she had said about not going to celestia's magic school. He had not gone to it either. He wondered then if it were possible for her to still learn the light and whether he himself would have to give up the light in order to learn this. He sighed a little, he would abandon the light magic for this he knew without doubt, but if it were at all possible then he would ensure he new both and that his new companion also knew both. Even if they could not make an alicorn they would at least have a knowledge and skill in magic nearly it's equal.

he determined in that instant that they would become the greatest spell casters in all of equestria's long history. More powerful than starswirl, alicorns, and even chaos itself.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 am

At first, Onyx moved slow, just to ensure her friend was still compliant. While she could sense he shared the same sort of soul as her, it was always best to have some doubt concealed in the corner of one's mind, rather than to possibly be caught off guard in the future. Trust was a thing hard earned, but even more difficult to maintain. So, when she heard the pitter-patter of his hooves behind her, the mare was a bit relieved. At least she wouldn't have to use her magic on him. Not yet, anyways.

As she suggested, she kept to the slinking shadows, her own hooves barely making any sound. It was as if the darkness itself swallowed any sense of her presence- sound, sight, even the smell of her failed to be carried on the breeze of her trot. While the clusters of demolished or half-crushed buildings weren't as they once were, she still recognized each and every one. The maze of streets was easily navigated, granting her a grand rate of time. She was mindful not to go too quickly, though, less Heartspan get left behind. The region was deserted, perhaps, but only by ponyfolk. There were other creatures that lurked about still.

As the great castle of the two alicorn sisters rose over the horizon, the unicorn slowed her gallop to a trot, then eventually stopped all together. They had reached the outer edge of the old town, the newer outskirts resided but a quarter mile before them. Separating the two, however, was a great stone wall. Her red eyes trailed it up from the base to the top, their pupils reflecting its magnificence.

It's almost as if the princesses are hiding something. Are the unicorns' eyes too delicate to see such horrors? Have they truly become so weak? Her species had always been concerned about the more 'sophisticated' aspects of life, and chose to ignore the uglier side of the world. The very notion made her scowl. As anger swelled in her chest, her horn produced a swirling black aura, while her eyes burned green and leaked purple flames. She could feel the very air around her trembling with her hatred, while the ground fractured and hummed. Just as she was about to unleash her rage, a voice whispered in her subconscious.

I'm sorry, but she is far too unstable for this academy. We simply can't risk it. Another intercepted, one pleading and full of sorrow. I'm begging you! Please! Princess Celestia is the only one that can help her...help her..help her.. As the voice trailed off in its echo, Onyx's eyes widened to their fullest. With a blink, all of the dark magic dispersed, leaving her head hanging with shame. She took a deep breath and held it. I promised them that would never happen again. I promised myself that I wouldn't allow my emotions to rule me. Exhaling, she stamped a hoof defiantly. Her petty emotions were not going to get the best of her.

"I should have brought us directly to the library." Onyx stated. "But I'm afraid I feared the risk of being sensed. I'm unfamiliar with the current non-royal residents of the castle, thus am unsure how capable they are of detecting magic and sounding the alarm. I'd rather risk the journey there on hoof. Unless, of course, you have better information than I."
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 10:00 am

Through the maze of deserted and unfamiliar lanes, heartspan trotted along in the wraith like wake of his companion. He could dimly remember enjoying the peacefulness of night time travel. He was used to it and it offered no concern to him. He simply did his best to mimic the fluid stealth that Onyx displayed as they walked.

Soon Onyx slowed to a trot and heartspan noted that they were nearing the edge of the old town.  
Without meaning to he glanced up at the royal palace. There looming high on the horizon was the house of his great enemy and yet as he looked at it he did not find the normal feelings of mistrust and righteous anger. Instead he found a feeling of sudden loss and distance as if there was something missing in his spirit and as these feelings closed in on him he looked up toward the moon with a sense of longing for something that he could not understand.  

He looked back toward Onyx as she slowed to a stop near the great wall that separated the old world from the new. His heart felt heavy as he quietly padded up next to the mare. He watched her as she stared up toward the top of the wall. He felt the air grow suddenly still as if the entire world had abandoned them. He was alone with his disquieted heart, and as a blackness deeper than any night wrapped itself about Onyx's horn he felt this same darkness creep into his spirit. Her eyes burned green and leaked purple flames. Then the world seemed to come back to life all in a rush. The air shimmered and hummed with power. Hatred poured out of Onyx's slender form leaving small cracks all along the paving even as the very ground hummed with energy. Then just as suddenly it all came apart. The mares eyes grew wide, their widest. Then with a single blinking of her ruby eyes the magic dissipated. She inhaled deeply as her head sank and after a moment she exhaled stamping her foot.

"I should have brought us directly to the library." 

"But I'm afraid I feared the risk of being sensed. I'm unfamiliar with the current non-royal residents of the castle, thus am unsure how capable they are of detecting magic and sounding the alarm. I'd rather risk the journey there on hoof. Unless, of course, you have better information than I."

Heartspan wasn't sure how to reply at first. He had seen spells fail before, many times, and in varying degrees. What ever had distracted her weighed heavily on her. He had to forcibly suppress his natural instincts. He was concerned for her but he knew that it would not be welcomed. He let out a sigh glad that his concern for his new friend had managed to bring a sense of calm into his heart.

He nodded once as if confirming her thoughts.

“ yes, probably a wise choice not to use too much forbidden magic here.” he offered kindly “ I am not certain on their capabilities but from what I have seen many of your spells are very visible and clearly not of the standard magic. I am sure most would sound the alarm.”

He looked back up toward the top of the wall.

“ I can't teleport but I can easily lift us over the wall with my telekinesis.” he stated. “ they won't look for the standard magic of this I am sure. But we don't have to skulk about either.”

he looked over at Onyx with a small smile. his earlier feelings of loss and disquiet having burned away nearly completely.

“ As far as anyone will think...you are just another pretty face, although one a little militantly dressed.” he said as he gestured to her armor with a tilt of his horn. “ so we can pretty much just walk to the library. I am not sure of their hours but even if it is closed we wont have to worry about guards until we go in.”

The more he thought of it, the better an idea it sounded. A casual stroll to the library with onyx might be quiet fun in it's own accord. With that the last of his inner turmoil vanished.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Quote :
“ I can't teleport but I can easily lift us over the wall with my telekinesis.” he stated. “ they won't look for the standard magic of this I am sure. But we don't have to skulk about either.”
She chewed on her lower lip while thinking over the possibility. While levitation was a simple spell to perform for even the most juvenile of unicorn, to do so for someone of her or Heartspan's weight would require a lot of effort. Fortunately, the runes she had carved in the forest acted as a catalyst for her spell, as well as a reagent- the symbols themselves drew energy from the very world, which she used to fuel the technique. Otherwise, the teleportation would have been physically taxing, and a bit strenuous on her mind as well.

"Perhaps that will so."

Quote :
“ As far as anyone will think...you are just another pretty face, although one a little militantly dressed.” he said as he gestured to her armor with a tilt of his horn. “ so we can pretty much just walk to the library. I am not sure of their hours but even if it is closed we wont have to worry about guards until we go in.”
Her black coat bared the slightest hint of a blush on her cheeks. No one had ever called her pretty before. In fact, the mare had never considered her appearances before, either. All of her focus had been dedicated to her studies, which she did deep within the vaults of a library. Uncertain of herself, Onyx raised a hoof to her muzzle and gazed into the silver armor band around it. She stared at her reflection, which was mildly distorted with the metal's curve, curiously tilted her head in wonder, then let the foot settle.

For the first time, she regarded Heartspan in the terms of his own features. For a colt, he was well-toned, had a very clean coat, and a shimmering mane. No doubt he was considered comely by others. And while she lacked the experience of judging others based on such, she could deem him handsome.

"A simple silencing spell and illusion should remove the suspicion of my armor." She stated, then cleared her throat. "We should be far enough from the castle to use our magic undetected. Still, minor spells are sometimes the best." While he had suggested levitation, Onyx had another technique in mind. She stepped closer to the wall and reared onto her hind hooves, then firmly planted the front on the stone. Conjuring some magic at the tip of her horn, she dispersed it as a spell, which collected at her hooves, settling them with a light red aura. "And up we go."

The unicorn simply strolled completely vertically up the wall, her technique apparently was quite effective. It required minimal effort, though she did have to focus on keeping the essence around her hooves, less the spell be dispersed untimely. Before too dreadfully long, the mare climbed over the ledge and to its top, beyond which Canterlot's moderate homes were revealed, followed by the elite, which stretched out towards the horizon. While most homes were dark and their residents asleep, many still burned with small fires, which could be seen lazily flickering about through the night. It was a peaceful sight, in truth. One she found herself enjoying.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Heartspan turned his gaze toward the old city as Onyx gazed at her hoof in thought. He wondered why they had been left to decline when the unicorn race could easily have kept up with the general maintenance. Looking at the crumbling houses and thinking that beyond the wall were ones in good repair made him feel as if Canterlot mirrored the view of Equestria he had come to believe existed. On the surface in view of the common people and those who visited from far off Equestria, like Canterlot itself, was a place of beauty and grandeur. Yet as one got closer the cracks in the paving, the minor defects, gathered together carefully hidden from sight .

"A simple silencing spell and illusion should remove the suspicion of my armor."

her voice called him back from his musings and he smiled as she cleared her throat in what to him seemed like a seasoned professor beginning a discourse on magical theory.

"We should be far enough from the castle to use our magic undetected. Still, minor spells are sometimes the best." 

He nodded once as she spoke. He watched her carefully positioning herself on the wall. He carefully analyzed the flow of her magic, and up she went walking along the sheer wall like a spider. He watched her for a short time. It seemed an easy enough spell. He had no lack of magical ability but even as he thought this he knew that he could not replicate it without some practice before hand. His training had been so focused in his youth that he had missed out on so many of the most simple magics. He would rectify that now though. He may not be as adept as the princess of magic 'Twilight Sparkle' never the less he was no novice or foal of little ability. He nodded to himself once before summoning the azure magic that would carry him to the top of the walls. Gently and easily he soared along the sheer walls rising ever higher before finally alighting in whispered silence next to Onxy.

He followed her gaze out into the city and without meaning to his eyes focused an a single set of flickering lights amid the shadows of the nighttime cityscape. There in the houses of the lesser elite he could see what he had been told was his 'Home' . His so called 'Parents' dwelt there. He felt a small tremor of sorrow rise into his throat. He had been told he had a sister, a filly, who had gone missing some months before. There had been a whole investigation but he could not remember this 'Sister', or this 'Home' . He felt sorry for them and without thinking his hoof rose to the apple size black gem holding his cloak shut. It felt unnaturally warm beneath his touch and though the feeling of sorrow only grew as he held it still he could feel a comforting warmth.

“ If you look out there...you can see the home I am told I was born in...” he said softly as he pointed a hoof in the direction of the lights. “ I think...that it has become a sad place....”

he leaped off the wall then, falling with ever greater speed. The rushing air filled his ears as the darkness rose up to catch him. Each moment passed in slow motion as he sought to collect himself on his fall. He drowned his sorrow in the rushing wind and at the last moment his magic flared to life. It flowed out from his horn and spilled down along his body cradling him before gently settling him on the cool stone. There he waited for his new friend. He knew she would come and so he did not look for her. Instead he simply waited and tried to banish the feelings of sadness that had once more arisen . This was how it had been since he had made his seemingly priceless gem. Shifting waves of sorrow followed by calm.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Her head turned to watch Heartspan hover to her side, then gently land. She smiled for a brief moment, pleased that he held enough magical practicality to manage such a climb without straining himself- he needed to be a strong caster if he ever hoped of seeing his dreams fulfilled. And quite frankly, now that she was on the verge of forming a goal of her own, she couldn't spare wasting time with a weakling- no matter how kind he or she might be. I'm still unsure whether or not to pursue this. The mare's lids drew down, growing heavy with thought. But it's something to strive for- I have no other plans than this. One can only wander the world aimlessly for so long.

When he gestured to his throat, Onyx's eyes followed the hoof. She was surprised she hadn't ever taken note of the crystal brooch he bore. That gem..it's almost like.. A sharp pain surged through her skull, blinding her with its intensity. An image flashed before her eyes. It was a crystal, with a trillion cut. Its color was black, but melded with dark red. My crystal..I still need to find it.. The unicorn had attempted to track it down once, but the mare who planned on aiding her disappeared. She knew it was here in Canterlot. Somewhere.. Perhaps I'll find a lead at the library..

Quote :
“ If you look out there...you can see the home I am told I was born in...” he said softly as he pointed a hoof in the direction of the lights. “ I think...that it has become a sad place....”
At that, her attention and focus returned. Onyx blinked, then peered in the direction he desired. The sadness laced in his words was heartbreaking, and made her own chest ache in longing. "I was born here as well." But rather than to gesture before them, she craned her neck around and turned her head to the ruins behind them. "But I didn't grow up here." Her red eyes traced the roads they had run, flowed lazily over the crumbling rooftops. "I have no idea how this area came to be like this. Or what happened to my family." She looked to him once more. "I don't even know how long I've been gone.."

To her surprise, he leaped off the wall. Onyx shook her head to clear it, then kicked off from the wall herself, following his example. As the wind rushed against her, the mare's cloak billowed and whipped about wildly, threatening to dislocate from her form all together. The coolness caressed through her two-tone mane, and it felt wonderful. Even the sensation of the fall in her gut made the pony truly feel alive. But, alas, the ground was quickly approaching. Thus, she had to reframe from indulging in her delight, and instead focused on a spell.

A red aura shimmered around her horn, then condensed around the rest of her. She slowed in mid-air, using her own levitation technique to firmly, but gently, plant all four hooves on the ground together. Once secure, the magic faded, and she took a moment or two to refit the cloak around her.

"Now, there shouldn't be anything else to impede us. Anyone, on the other hand, is entirely different.."
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 pm

"I don't even know how long I've been gone.." …...  "I have no idea how this area came to be like this. Or what happened to my family."

Her words echoed deep in the empty place that seemed to have taken residence in his heart. He turned to her as she alighted on the ground. He studied her as she adjusted her cloak. Just what sort of life had this mare led up to this point? Dedicated to the dark arts as she was, it no doubt was one filled with nefarious deeds. He sighed deeply thinking of this dark road they would have to walk. For the first time his undertaking hit him with full gravity. He would have to take lives in order to create his princess and then he would make a great war. He would ruin everything that had been brought to being to this point in time. Even the magic needed for such an undertaking would have a terrible price of it's own. In the end he would not create anything new, he would not better the lives of anypony. He realized that he simply wanted to rule over all of them. To punish them for their foolishness. He wanted them to see what their arrogance would purchase when their royal abominations were taken from them. He realized he wanted to make an empty world filled with empty ponies.  Then again a part of him wanted to make real this world of friendship and wonder that celestia pretended to push. He even wanted to for just a moment believe that Celestia was on the level and that he himself were wrong.

He felt so conflicted and lost. His gaze sank to the ground as he fought to bring himself under control. He thought about her words, he thought about himself. Was this how Onyx felt inside he wondered, constant conflict. He looked up at her again.

“ Onyx I feel myself lost.” he stated bluntly “ What you said about not knowing how long you have been gone, I know you meant something real but to me …...I feel as if I have always been gone from myself. I don't know what I want to do....... I am adrift in this world.”

he looked up at the moon.

“ I want to punish everyone and have all my own selfish wishes come true. I want to live in an empty world were we all are like stone in our hearts.” he continued “ That is just part of me. The other part simply wants the lie celestia portrays to be real. We deserve a world of happiness and friendship. We deserve to have an equal love for all and and equal happiness. Maybe if I am cruel enough and empty enough I can create this world by forcing these idiot common ponies to see how much they hate the life their foolishness purchases.”

he turned to look at Onyx. His face slowly losing emotion and his words slowly becoming an empty husk. Inside a new power burned into being. Dark and terrible. It pressed back at the light magic, suppressing it. It brought calm to his churning emotions burning them away with furious silence.

“ So, what will you choose when I begin this process?” He spoke evenly, his voice lifeless “ I told you that emptiness was the ultimate power. I will make all the world empty. I will use what I learn from you to take away the feelings from every heart. My Alicorn princess will be the sword I use for this feat. “

Coldness began to envelope him as he looked at her. The shadow he cast took on a deeper darkness as he spoke. Inside he felt this soul withering darkness begin to rise from within the empty place he held in his heart. Voices whispered barely inaudible secrets and a magic he had never felt inside himself began to stir and grow. Green flashed and flickered across his eyes like a sputtering candle. Violet flames whispered into being at the edges of his eyes only to vanish again in a similar candle like manner.

The rising darkness inside him begged to to be embraced. It promised, cajoled, and threatened. It twisted and writhed in his soul. Yet a sweet voice lost to memory pleaded for his salvation. It screamed into the darkness. This voice so recognizable and yet so foreign fought for purchase amongst the emptiness.

Azure flames sprang to life on the ground, forming unknown arcane patterns. Moonlight twisted and wavered under the force of the magic it encountered. Blue Flame, and violet, flickered across his body reflecting the inner struggle. Somewhere deep inside heartspan thought that in this moment he might very well die. Yet he had a hard time mustering enough emotion to even care. Magic coursed through him twisting and fighting for dominance. He knew he had to somehow gain control but he had no idea how to, he had never felt so much raw power before. it was intoxicating.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Quote :
"Onyx I feel myself lost.” he stated bluntly “ What you said about not knowing how long you have been gone, I know you meant something real but to me …...I feel as if I have always been gone from myself. I don't know what I want to do....... I am adrift in this world.”

The unicorn cocked a brow. She listened to him attentively, making sure each individual word was understood and synthesized appropriately into meaning. While her mind wandered from him in focus, her eyes remained upon the colt. "I was once like that, too." But that had been a very long time ago, back when she was first forced into her apprenticeship. It was when her father, the colt whom she had adored, abandoned her in favor of a complete stranger. Without any explanation he returned to Canterlot. And it was done without a hint of remorse or regret. She had felt abandoned, neglected, unloved. The world itself moved as a blur, time had no meaning, and she felt as if she didn't exist.

Quote :
“ I want to punish everyone and have all my own selfish wishes come true. I want to live in an empty world were we all are like stone in our hearts.” he continued “ That is just part of me. The other part simply wants the lie celestia portrays to be real. We deserve a world of happiness and friendship. We deserve to have an equal love for all and and equal happiness. Maybe if I am cruel enough and empty enough I can create this world by forcing these idiot common ponies to see how much they hate the life their foolishness purchases.”
Her eyes returned to focus and strayed down the road, over a hill and to the castle of the alicorn sisters. "Emotions are complicated things. In one sense, they make you feel alive. But when they become overwhelming.." Onyx sighed. "I've been forced to control my feelings, to keep them to a minimum. While it would be beneficial for my personal sake to negate them completely, what sort of existence would that be? To be completely devoid of anything would be the same as being dead."

The mare shook her head. "I agree that we should be free to experience delight, even friendship." She paused, mulling over her words. "But forcing it on others is impossible. Opening their eyes to the truth is also complicated- what is true to some are lies to others. It's all a matter of perspective."

When Heartspan turned to her, she frowned. It was quite clear that a darkness was developing within his soul, one deep and dark. The power of it could easily consume the colt as it had many ponies before him- the very thought of such made her shiver. I hated to see the others succumb to the darkness, too weak to overpower it. They became nothing but husks- zombies, easily bent to the will of the strong. Her eyes narrowed, brow wrinkled as she let a bit of anger show. I don't want to see that happen again. I must learn how to control the dark magic better, to help others overcome it. But I'll need a lot more power.

And that's when she was struck with an epiphany. If I could become an alicorn, I'd be the one of darkness. I'll master its every form, keep it at bay in others. The new goal lightened her spirits, even made her smile a bit. Yes. That sounds like a much better path to take. It will empower me, but I'll still be doing good onto others. Perhaps it will even redeem me..

Quote :
“ So, what will you choose when I begin this process?” He spoke evenly, his voice lifeless “ I told you that emptiness was the ultimate power. I will make all the world empty. I will use what I learn from you to take away the feelings from every heart. My Alicorn princess will be the sword I use for this feat. “
His words were quite startling. "This isn't you talking." Onyx stated, her chest inflating with courage. Most would cower before one of such dastardly deeds, or shy away. She aimed to embrace it head-on. If she hoped to see her new dream come true, her actions of protection had to start somewhere. "The darkness whispers lies, drowns out the truth. Your heart is merely clouded, your judgement impure." A cautious step was taken closer to him. "I understand you hurt. I have, and do, as well. But you can't let it completely shroud your mind, or your very essence. You must use the darkness to empower you, not take you over. Do not be its slave."

The mare stood her ground, even as the darkness continued to envelop him. This is no good. But there must be something I can do.. Unsure of what to do, Onyx lowered her head, aiming to touch her horn to his and transfer the essence of evil into herself. However, before they could collide, blue flames sprang up from the earth, singing her forelegs. Onyx jerked back a few paces, her slit pupils thinned, but still thick enough to reflect the ominous glow. She studied the arcane patterns, her mind working hard and quick to decipher them.

Her sights flicked back up to Heartspan, whom was experiencing a conflict of magical alignment. Inhaling sharply, she surged forward, forcing herself against the flames without a trace of fear. She went to press her horn to his, to help balance his eruption, and take into herself the darkness he expressed.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 pm

The darkness whispers lies.....
Drowns out the truth.....
Your heart is merely clouded......
your judgement impure......

heartspan stood alone in a word of vast darkness and terrible blue fire and yet these words had come from somewhere. They were not his. The voice too feminine to in control of things. Then suddenly he the world fell apart. It shattered like glass allowing the cool evening air to rush in on him. The street, the highwall, and Onyx all whirled back into existence.

The fire all about him vanished with a loud rushing sound. Darkness fled from him back into the nooks and crannies of the world beyond the unicorn mare who's horn now rested against his own. He could feel power flowing into her, he could feel the warmth of her being so near to him as to actually touch. His mind worked slowly still intoxicated by the rush of power.

“ What are you doing Onyx?” he asked in a soft almost emotionless voice “ I thought you wanted me to embrace this darkness?”

He enjoyed the warm touch of her horn and was loath to pull away but he did any way taking a few steps back from her. His emotions were slowly returning and they felt a jumble though he knew they were often this way.

“ Thank you Onyx for helping me ...” he said awkwardly.

(sorry its a bit short but i have not much sleep but wanted to reply such a great post that you did ^//^)
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Yess...yessss! You're doing well, my pupil.. That voice.. How long had it been since she had it slither through her ears? Embrace it.. Rule it.. Thisss isss what you were meant to be.. Onyx's eyes were closed tight, her brow broke out in a feverish sweat. Her spiral horn crackled and spark with black electricity, while it also spat and sputtered rich purple flames, whose source cooled rather than warmed. She could feel the massive quantity of energy surging into her body, seeking out her soul. As it rushed through, her veins pulsed, heart thumped heavily, every cell felt as though they were being..reborn.

I can do it.. I must! I will not allow anyone else to be the darkness's tool! The pure force of the power was overwhelming, and not just on her anatomy. In the physical realm, the energy wished to separate the two unicorns- she could feel it pushing away, reluctant to be absorbed and controlled. Thus, the mare dug her armored hooves into the earth and spread all four out for balance. Her cloak began to pillow from the gale that howled between them. I can't give up.. I won't! I'm going to master the dark magic's very source! It will be mine to control!

Quote :
“ What are you doing Onyx?” he asked in a soft almost emotionless voice “ I thought you wanted me to embrace this darkness?”
Though her body threatened to rip apart, and her soul was melding with the darkness, Hearspan's voice still managed to puncture through. When she opened her eyes to it, they were pure red, and seethed with black flames. "Embracing is one thing. To be ruled by it another. You are not in control. But I am." When he stepped away, Onyx ripped her head backwards, pulling the last thread of evil from his horn. As it sizzled and dispersed, seeping into her body like the rest, the mare panted and her knees buckled from the strain.

Gradually, she regained her composure, and her eyes returned to normal.

Quote :
“ Thank you Onyx for helping me ...”
Her legs eventually gave way, forcing her to lay upon all fours, their knees bent. She looked up at him and smiled genuinely. "No need to thank me. It was an honor to assist you." The unicorn bowed her head. "I do not want to deter you from the darker side of magic. I still intend on you using it. However, what I must first do is teach you how to control it, less you want to be lost forever."

((Man, I am absolutely loving this topic. You. Are. Awesome! This is a lot of fun!))
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Heartspan's emotions were slowly and inexorably being restored to rights. He had been overcome with magical energy before, it was not a foreign concept, and yet the darkness had been something a world away from anything he had ever known. It had been so aggressive where his light magic was more pandering in it's nature. Where one power seemed to yearn to be used the other threatened with cruel potency. The thought, the memory of it, they made his very soul shiver . Yet despite his concern he was a practiced spellcaster. He analyzed the experience through the frame work of his learning. He knew he had made a near fatal error and as a result he had nearly been consumed completely.

"No need to thank me. It was an honor to assist you."

her words roused him from his analysis and he gazed down into her ruby eyed and smiling face. A small smile gracing his lips. When she bowed her head to continue speaking he moved so that he might sit in the same fashion as she was, though he faced her directly.

“ Ah, yes, I suppose that would have been the more normal approach” he replied with only a slight friendly smirk. “ Well, as you see I do not always follow conventional ways. Anyways, in this you are now my 'Mistress' and I will follow your lead. “

he reached out a hoof as if to take hers but being unsure of her reaction he paused and placed his hoof back where it had been.

“ You were not hurt too terribly …. were you?” he asked with concern for his friend.

With a quick and gentle flickering of magic he ensured her cloak covered her properly.

“ We can wait here as long as you need...” he began “ I don't believe there are many spellcasters in celestia's employ. I think as a rule the citizens of canterlot are not really concerned with much beyond the next social gathering. In any case I only see pegasi and earth pony guards with the exception of the new prince of the crystal empire, but he would not be here as far as I would think.”

he grinned as he realized he was used to her need for secrecy, it stood out so much from everypony he could remember being around. This was just his attempt to waylay her concerns and to let her find some rest. Yet thinking of this difference only reminded him of her words, the way she spoke of canterlot was so different than he would have and yet in such a subtle way. In that moment looking at her he felt as if they were life times apart. He shook his head slightly thinking that he had plenty of time to cross the gulf between them. Then a sudden thought occurred to him and he quickly looked for his saddle bag. He nodded seeing that it lay a short distance away. No doubt the levitation spell he normally used without thought to carry his bags had fizzled out when he had undergone his ordeal. At least it had not consumed the bag or it's valuable contents. He casually drifted it over to him then and rummaging within its confines he pulled out an apple and a bottle of water. He passed both of them to Onyx.

“ it isn't much but it will tide you over until we get a chance for a proper meal someplace. I imagine you must be hungry or at least thirsty after so much effort.” he blushed again as he spoke. “ ...ah … I am really sorry I put you through so much trouble.....”
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Quote :
“ Ah, yes, I suppose that would have been the more normal approach” he replied with only a slight friendly smirk. “ Well, as you see I do not always follow conventional ways. Anyways, in this you are now my 'Mistress' and I will follow your lead. “
She chuckled. "I wouldn't want it any other way. Normalcy tends to become quite dull with its predictability. I would much rather be kept on my hoofs." The unicorn noticed his jerking motion with his hoof, but chose not to address it to spare him what could be some embarrassment. It very well could have been awkward for her as well- she couldn't remember the last time anyone had shown her affection, let alone physically did so. It was probably that afternoon with my father. Before he left me.. Briefly, she flinched at the memory. [i]I don't recall my Master ever showing any kindness. But he didn't touch me in any harmful manners either, so I should consider myself lucky. Other acolytes couldn't say the same.

Quote :
“ You were not hurt too terribly …. were you?” he asked with concern for his friend.
"Hurt? No. Just a bit..exhausted." Onyx suffered no trauma to her flesh, but her magical flow was a bit at ends with her. The substance was still dancing about with the foreign darkness, hoping to assimilate it, less it grow hostile. She could feel it tingling through her veins, and her horn produced the occasional spark. "I've honestly never tried anything like that before." The mare admitted with a bit of shame. So many of the other students could have been saved if she had. "But at least now I know I can." And she always would, for Heartspan, and anyone else in need.

When he adjusted her cloak magically, she smiled and nodded her head in thanks.

Quote :
“ We can wait here as long as you need...” he began “ I don't believe there are many spellcasters in celestia's employ. I think as a rule the citizens of canterlot are not really concerned with much beyond the next social gathering. In any case I only see pegasi and earth pony guards with the exception of the new prince of the crystal empire, but he would not be here as far as I would think.”
His words allowed her a brief moment of relief. She had been concerned that their little incident would have alarmed the guards of Canterlot- or at least stirred some residents from their nests. However, the streets seemed as calm as ever- either everypony was asleep and unaware of the event, or they chose to ignore it, to save their own hides. The latter made her cringe. Our species has always been so selfish. We always believed ourselves to be dominant over the others. That will always be our downfall. Onyx rolled her front shoulders forward.

When he mentioned the Crystal Empire, her heart skipped a beat. New prince? The empire has a new prince? Panic began to strangle her, making her breaths short and rampant. Here? He could be here? In a flash, Onyx, despite fatigue, was on all fours again. And other Crystal Ponies have migrated here? No. This is not good. She could be recognized! And that was something that she wouldn't allow. Thus, her cloak's hood was quickly drawn and fastened over her head, as was the majority of her black horn.

By the time she had steadied herself, Heartspan had presented herself with an apple and some water.

Quote :
“ it isn't much but it will tide you over until we get a chance for a proper meal someplace. I imagine you must be hungry or at least thirsty after so much effort.” he blushed again as he spoke. “ ...ah … I am really sorry I put you through so much trouble.....”
The notion was so simple, but so very kind. No one had ever shown her such kindness- not for a very long time. It made all of her fear fade, and her muscles relaxed. "..Thank you." She quietly bent over and conjured her levitation spell to suspend the two objects in midair. "I'm truly blessed to have met someone like you, Heartspan. Truly." The apple hovered closer to her nose, and she took a polite bite. While she did not agree with the unicorn's society, she wasn't a rude mare.

After she swallowed, Onyx declared, "It's best we get back on the move. The night will only last for so long. Soon, Celestia will awaken and raise the sun- it's best we're inside the library before then."
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 11:27 am

Heartspan rose quietly. He took a deep breath and look up into the night sky. He had no love for the day nor the mare who brought it.

“ yes we should be on our way.” he replied giving her a short but elegant bow “ After you my Mistress”

He rose giving her a small smile before joining her more directly. He started off down the road keeping a quick pace. Here, he was on roads that were not familiar, but once he reached something recognizable he would have many short cuts to the Great Library. He studied her as secretly as he could from beneath his hood. He had grown accustomed to her paranoid reactions but at the mention of the crystal empire she had nearly leaped out of her skin. He smiled to himself as he put the thought from his mind. He had no real intention of bringing it up. He knew she would tell him in due time if she wanted to. His mind changed direction then as he recalled her saving him and the amount of talent it would take to draw out so much raw magical energy. He was also capable of doing things that he had never thought he could. This was a good thought and made him feel a bit warm. It was nice to find a common ground in such a way.

“ You know, I think you are a spectacular wizard. “ he stated suddenly as they journeyed “ I really admire your skill with magic. It takes a lot of talent to do something you have never done before.”

he smiled warmly at her from beneath the edge of his hood.

“ You said that I was a blessing to you earlier. I think you are not the only one blessed. You are a great companion. Normally I might make you something with my magic to show my appreciation for you. Something impressive wrought from transmutation. Instead I will just say that 'you' are 'my' magic present. “ he offered innocently before continuing. “ you know, I found another book along with the one I showed you. It compared the magical creation of chimera to an alicorn. The book out lines a spell formula for merging a living pegasi with a unicorn as it compares and contrasts various theories with what is known of the real things, alicorns I mean. It is all untested and clearly forbidden but it is so fascinating that I want to try it. That is one reason I want to make my own beings. I don't think I could perform such an untested and horrendous act on a regular pony I might meet somewhere. “

he could not contain his glee as he went on about his personal interests. He paused at a large and much more familiar street near to the market. He flipped up the end of his cloak that hid his flank.

“ I am especially gifted with transmutation as my cutie mark represents change through magic.” he stated gleefully as he showed her his cutie mark. “ so you can imagine my enjoyment of the text.”

There on his flank was an image of a half heart joined to a half flower beneath a magic sigil. He let the cloak fall back into place hiding his exposed flank before choosing a small side street and trotting toward it.

“ I know a few short cuts to the library from here. I used to spend a fair amount of time there as you might imagine. Plus I like to wander about aimlessly.” this last was said with a little laugh. “ you know I just thought of a funny thing. Our colors contrast in the same way our magic contrasts. Not only that but we have a spell volume contrast. You seem to know so many differing spells but I only know how to do transmutation and telekinesis. I think it is fun, we are a good mix. Now I just have to teach you light magic.”

he looked at her with a big grin
“ We will be the perfect set after that.” he teased warmly. “ a couple pair of book ends or something like this.”

His personal worries and the dangers that might be presented them at their destination seemed entirely forgotten, lost in the enjoyment of their wandering through town.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Quote :
“ You know, I think you are a spectacular wizard. “ he stated suddenly as they journeyed “ I really admire your skill with magic. It takes a lot of talent to do something you have never done before.”
Onyx's pace was kept with Heartspan's own- it was brisk, yet leisurely at the same time. Each house they passed, she couldn't help but glance at, her eyes studying their darkened windows. She could sense  lifeforms behind those stone walls, all warm and content beneath their silken blankets. No doubt they dreamed of sweet things, rather than shiver in terror of nightmares plaguing them. The thought made her envious. It has been too long since I've had a soundless sleep. Ever since I've woken from that suspended state, all I can think about is what happened. Perhaps I should seek an herbal remedy come the morrow.

"I thank you for your kind words." She began, smiling within the shade of her hood.  "Talent, or natural ability? I believe we all possess the power within us, but it lays dormant, waiting to be released. It requires dedication to unlock- but I'm sure the methods all vary depending on the pony. Some could find their true power through meditation, others studies. Then there's those who may through the fight-or-flight mechanism, when their lives are threatened." The mare clicked the roof of her mouth with her tongue.

"For me, all I've found has come through a combination of it all. I've studied, meditated in the dark, dank vaults, and every day I studied the evil arts my life was threatened." Her eyes blazed through the latest window, their pupils locked on a flickering shadow within. "I have much more to find, however. And I plan on reaching my full potential."

Quote :
“ You said that I was a blessing to you earlier. I think you are not the only one blessed. You are a great companion. Normally I might make you something with my magic to show my appreciation for you. Something impressive wrought from transmutation. Instead I will just say that 'you' are 'my' magic present. “ he offered innocently before continuing. “ you know, I found another book along with the one I showed you. It compared the magical creation of chimera to an alicorn. The book out lines a spell formula for merging a living pegasi with a unicorn as it compares and contrasts various theories with what is known of the real things, alicorns I mean. It is all untested and clearly forbidden but it is so fascinating that I want to try it. That is one reason I want to make my own beings. I don't think I could perform such an untested and horrendous act on a regular pony I might meet somewhere. “
Onyx found herself blushing once more. Thankfully, it was concealed beneath her hood. I feel the same way about you.. The unicorn thought, too fearful and awkward to state such verbally. I believe you will be my first true friend. Her eyes lowered, burdened with a tinge of sadness. I've always wanted to experience this feeling. And so long as it doesn't interfere with my dark essence, I welcome it. But should my control wane.. Mentally, she shook her head, ridding herself of such a thought. Not doing so would only bring about a pang of emotion, and cause her to lose control, no doubt.

Her ears twisted to him as he spoke of chimeras, then perked up. "While merging the two species would in fact create an alicorn, it would only do so in anatomy, not magical potency, I believe." Still, it would be interesting to see it done, and examine the results. "I, for one, wouldn't mind a pair of wings. Flight offers freedom.." But, alas, it seemed she would be bound to her grounded burdens for some time. Only when she could figure out how to become an alicorn would she have the ability to shed those shackles. "While I have conjured objects before, I've never managed to create living lifeforms. I'm quite fascinated by the notion, and would love to learn the concepts and practices of such."

They stopped momentarily at one of Canterlot's larger roads. Onyx looked up at the tall buildings, its many stories homing but a single family, no doubt. Those of her species tended to splurge on large and eye-catching things, to better be recognized. Her attention was quickly turned back to Heartspan, though, as he bared his cutie mark- and more importantly, rump. The flush she felt in her face could have lit a fire.

Quote :
" I am especially gifted with transmutation as my cutie mark represents change through magic.” he stated gleefully as he showed her his cutie mark. “ so you can imagine my enjoyment of the text.”
Onyx glanced over a shoulder to her own buttock. Her own Cutie Mark bore a large red crystal, surrounded by three smaller ones that orbited it. While beautiful, even to her own eyes, she saw it as a curse. It represented her genetics through the crystal matter itself, but also mocked the marking of her Master. The crystals also represented magic and her affinity to it, their red color hinting at something ominous.

"I would be honored to learn transmutation from you, should you be willing to teach me." She smiled fondly.

When he restored his cloak into place, she reflected on the shame there was in him hiding his rump. Then, realizing how peculiarly obsessed she was becoming towards it, Onyx shook herself from head to tail, and clonked herself on the head with a hoof to set her mind straight. T'was a good thing he started moving on by then, so the rather odd gesture went unnoticed. So, with a huff, the mare trotted a bit just to catch up to him, then fell into pace at his side.

Quote :
“ I know a few short cuts to the library from here. I used to spend a fair amount of time there as you might imagine. Plus I like to wander about aimlessly.” this last was said with a little laugh. “ you know I just thought of a funny thing. Our colors contrast in the same way our magic contrasts. Not only that but we have a spell volume contrast. You seem to know so many differing spells but I only know how to do transmutation and telekinesis. I think it is fun, we are a good mix. Now I just have to teach you light magic.”
She chuckled and gave him a small nod. "Knowing a lot of spells does not mean my magic is any better than yours. Some say it is better to focus on one sort, such as your transmutation, so that it could be mastered. Otherwise, having one's attention spread out means they will be good in much, but not great in anything." Onyx reflected for a moment on her own thoughts. "The majority of my spells are based on the dark arts. So, in a sense I am mastering it as well. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective."

Her eyes rolled to his. "I'm uncertain whether or not I should use the light. I seem to have been born to wield the dark. Perhaps if I delve deep enough into it, I can reach a new level, become something greater. Celestia seems to be the embodiment of the sun and light. In contrast, her sister Luna, is of the night and dark. Her darkness is more aesthetic, though. Only when she became Nightmare Moon did she embody it." The unicorn squinted, her thoughts becoming much more in-depth. "I wonder just where that darkness came from. Whether it was truly within her, or from another source.." She sighed. "Whatever the case, perhaps if one moves along the spectrum of their natural magical essence, they can be reborn."

Quote :
“ We will be the perfect set after that.” he teased warmly. “ a couple pair of book ends or something like this.”
The mare found herself chuckling again. The sound of it was so warm, yet foreign- it was almost unnerving for her. "I do believe we will do great things together." Her head raised to glance down their current road, the castle ever on the horizon beyond. It was growing larger- they would be upon their destination soon. So far, all goes well. All we need to do is not call attention from the guards, or run into one of the princesses..
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 am

Heartspan listened intently to her every word. He collected her opinions in his mind mulling each one over as he carefully picked their path. He kept quiet for the most part as he thought. Her words gave him many things to consider and reconsider before he had a new opinion. He turned to her after a time.

“ Well, you have given me a lot to think about my friend. The things you say make a lot of sense.” he commented thoughtfully. “ I will have to put much more thought to these things to form an intelligent conclusion. “

He smiled warmly before turning back to the path ahead. He lead her down a long alley way that let out on a short road facing the entrance to a carefully kept park. He paused at the mouth of the alley way.

“ If we cross the park the western end touches the back of the libraries grounds. From there we can scale a short wall and come in through the rear of the library. I think we will not find what you seek in the common rooms, maybe some of the forbidden section or the archival vaults. Those I am sure will be warded with magic and I am sure we will find some patrols here and there. “ he stated leisurely before trotting into the park.

It was not a very long journey to the parks western edge and heartspan was not concerned with the scenery he had seen countless times. His mind was focused on the task at hand. He cleared all tangent thoughts readying his magic for quick use. Once they had reached the low wall that marked the perimeter of the library grounds he stopped. His horn glowed a shadowy blue as he sought out for warding magic and close range patrols. Finding nothing he turned his head toward Onyx releasing his magic.

“ You will have to be the one to check for sentries. I can only detect magic and life at close range so you will have to be our eyes for the most part.” he said before gesturing to the wall. “ After you my Mistress. I have not found any warding magic along the walls nor any patrols withing 30 meters. ”

He gave her a small smile.

“ sorry that is all the range I have on it.” he said with a note of embarrassment.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 pm

She followed along in silence, pondering over her own words. Her fascination with alicorns was steadily growing, and the more her focus was put into their essence of being, the more sense their existence seemed to have. There were many forms of magic, and within those forms, branches extended out, some of which tangled with others to create combinations, while others yielded their own root of specific definition. Despite such, she could only figure a few routes that would achieve such a higher level of consciousness that one could transcend their physical form. It seems I'll eventually have to return 'home' one day, and face my past. I wonder if my mentor is still alive, or if he perished in the rebellion.

As they made way through the park, Onyx's eyes looked about, but saw little- and not because it was still dark out. Her mind was still elsewhere, now rattled with worry. She had heard her Master's voice echoing through her consciousness when she was absorbing Heartspan's darkness- that had never happened to her before. Was he somehow capable of planting his essence within her? Did he leave a bit of himself concealed away in her mind or soul? Or was she simply hallucinating from the great strain she endured? Whatever the case, the thoughts kept her occupied long enough for them to reach the desired barricade.

The unicorn slowed to a halt beside him, her optics finally focusing to the present.

Quote :
“ You will have to be the one to check for sentries. I can only detect magic and life at close range so you will have to be our eyes for the most part.” he said before gesturing to the wall. “ After you my Mistress. I have not found any warding magic along the walls nor any patrols withing 30 meters. ”
Nodding, the mare stepped closer to him, and began conjuring some magic into her horn. It released a red spark, which quickly fanned outward as an electric-like bubble that surrounded the two. The 'bubble' imploded into them, dispersing their atoms instantaneously. Within one of the halls of the library, the air began to crackle and hiss, then hum low and evenly. An electrical sphere appeared, which suddenly exploded, releasing the ponies' atoms and condensing them simultaneously, so they stood side-by-side, completely unharmed. The teleportation spell was a small one, but useful.

Onyx rolled back her shoulders and cracked her neck- the technique always left her feeling a bit stiff, if not a bit 'fuzzy.' "I'll send out sentries to keep watch for us, and seek out the patrols." Taking in a deep breath, she steadied herself, knowing well the next trick was a costly one. She bent forward and pressed her horn to the smooth marble floor, and it took on an eerie black glow. The magic pulsed thrice, each time, a shadow pony launched out from the tip and scurried across the floor. One went directly down the hall, another reared around and slithered down the path behind them, while the third took to the right at the nearest corridor.

It took her a moment to straighten herself- the creatures, having some intelligence to them, used a lot of her energy, She was dotted with a bit of sweat, but otherwise showed no other signs of fatigue- not any she wanted to be seen, anyways. "We may have to break into the forbidden vaults for the tomes I seek. But we can check the Magical Relics wing first, just in case." Onyx stated with a wry smile.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 pm

The feeling of being torn apart and reassembled was a new one to heartspan. He took a single deep breath once the magic had released them within the confines of the library. He could feel her magic, he recognized it now. He also recognized the darkness now that he had felt it's cool touch. Inwardly he shivered a little remembering the uncontrolled raw darkness that had threatened to overwhelm him. The fact that she could control such power made him respect her all the more while desiring the very same skills. He wanted to be able to control this same element and he knew soon enough he would.

He turned to her as she stretched after their short journey. He felt a momentary pang of shame that he had not been able to control his power on the first try. He would have liked to impress the mare but fate had seen it otherwise. It had been the same when he was just a foal. He was one who had to study in vaults and practice the theories to make magic.

I'll send out sentries to keep watch for us, and seek out the patrols.

Her words brought him back to the real world with a sense of confusion. Confusion which quickly vanished as she began her spell. She bowed her head to the floor and blackness erupted along her horn pulsing with its work. Ponies, if they could be called that rushed out from her horn darting down the halls. Heartspan's breath caught in his throat and he took a small step back from the mare. They were not unnerving in themselves but something about these beings of shadow made every alarm in his subconscious ring in clear warning. His mind frantically sought for information only to find empty spaces and a dim recollection of danger from beings such as this. His heart raced and he frantically tried to pry into the darkness of his mind but it held no light or hope of knowledge. His breathing had quickened in his hidden panic and he was forced to shut down this line of thought for fear of truly panicking. He held his breath and tried to focus on something else. Thankfully his companion provided the perfect out as she suddenly straitened herself bringing his attention to her.

We may have to break into the forbidden vaults for the tomes I seek. But we can check the Magical Relics wing first, just in case.

Her voice brought a sense of calm and her words served to remind him of their present danger. He nodded once, unable to find his voice, and he offered only a small grim smile. He started down the hall toward the magical relics wing. He didn't dare say anything for fear of his voice cracking at this forgotten but terrible fear that dwelt inside him. He had paid a cost in his past that he now knew was much higher than he had realized at the time. As they walked he took a cautious look at his beautiful friend. He would need to keep focused otherwise he would get them both caught and this was not a thing he could conscience.

he turned back to the hall. he sent small tendrils of unseen magic down along the walls and floor as they walked. It was a process he had learned for detecting things with his magic. It was simply the beginning of a transmutation spell rather than a true detection spell, but this process allowed him to use his power in an aggressive fashion and with out the tell tale emission of magic that other spells would have manifested.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 pm

His hesitation did not go unnoticed. She recognized all of the visual signs of panic- the small jerking of muscles, tension in the shoulders, dilated pupils. Heartspan's fear was so thick she could even smell it; it had a very precise odor, one of musk, but with a bit of sweetness to it. Having been around other acolytes during their training sessions, the scent had become quite familiar to it. Why, she had even started to enjoy it. However, the mare was not one who wished to conquer by fear, or use it in any shape or form, period. Her methods would revolve around the essence of darkness itself, not the side-effects it created.

"You don't have to be afraid of me." Onyx stated rather bluntly. She had pondered whether or not to reveal her observance, less it possibly shame him. But the words spluttered out. "Though there are others who would use such techniques for evil, I'm using it for protection. My life isn't the only one at stake, here. I want to keep you safe, too." Her eyes lowered to the floor, into her own shadow. She recalled how the other students had been fearful of her as well- she was capable of mastering spells at an accelerated rate, causing some to call her a spawn of the darkness. It made her sick. Her Master, however, was pleased.

The unicorn followed his lead, though fell a bit behind as her pace slowed, her focus elsewhere. She was checking up on her sentinels of shadow, whom kept to the walls, hiding whenever necessary in the blackness of objects, while making their way through all the halls. One had spotted a guard far to the south, leaning against a lance. He was fast asleep. The hour is late, and this is a place of studies. No wonder they aren't truly vigilant. Her ears perked, twitched and rotated, acting as radar dishes to pick out the other shadows' location. As of yet, they had naught to report.

Up ahead was a large marble archway, its opening aligned with two alicorn statues facing one another, reared onto their hid hooves. Between them hung a banner of multiple blue hues, with the words "Magical Artifacts" inscribed in silver embroidery. Onyx's eyes washed over the carvings, admiring their fine details, and the artists' knowledge of anatomy. Easing to the entrance, she stopped beneath the arch and peered inside, only to be confronted with a dark room with a few braziers burning deep inside. Their light was dim, but sufficient for navigation, though not enough to read by- not that such would be a problem.

"Well, here we are. If there's another section you'd like to check out, I can send a sentinel to watch over you, and report to me should something happen." Her eyes fixed on Heartspan, filled with sorrow. She still couldn't believe he had reacted in such a negative manner, though she did understand why.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:03 pm

heartspan looked at her sorrow filled eyes as they stood before the arched doorway. her words before hadn't shamed him. his fear had nothing to do with her or her magic. he stepped closer to her almost enough to touch.

" Im not scared of you Onyx or your magic." he said earnestly " Just....Those shadows reminded me of something that happened a time ago before we met. i don't want to leave your side either. There are some things that i want to look into but i would prefer to do it together. "

Heartspan smiled warmly and threw his forlegs around her shoulders pulling her into a sudden embrace. he could have said something sooner, or something better. he could have done things all much differently and better. He just was a complex stallion and had to do things in the way most natural to him and though he knew their was a risk in even attempting to hold somepony close it was a risk worth taking. he didn't want her to think he was scared of her or disliked her when he felt so much the opposite.

" So, no looking so sad, we have things to do." he said warmly.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Quote :
" Im not scared of you Onyx or your magic." he said earnestly " Just....Those shadows reminded me of something that happened a time ago before we met. i don't want to leave your side either. There are some things that i want to look into but i would prefer to do it together. "

She looked up at that, hope pushing aside the sadness. He sounded sincere, which was more than she could hope for. Good. Good.. The last time someone truly feared me.. Her mind wandered back to one evening in the alcoves of the Crystal Empire's library. Deep within the hidden shelves, where furniture was moved apart to create a small arena, the acolytes would meet and duel. The unicorn had been specifically instructed to cast a spell of fear upon her foe, one which would bring forth their deepest worries. They manifested in shadow form for all to see, to both frighten and shame her match.

The way that pony had wailed and screamed..she could almost hear the shrill now.

"You've seen someone cast that spell before?" Onyx inquired with a curious tilt to her head. Not many are capable of producing the amount of essence it requires, nevermind to actually conjure and control them. If, indeed, he did see those forms before.. She squinted. Maybe he really did survive. Maybe the others too.. Her head turned down the corridor, eyes glared down, but instead of seeing the hall they were in, reflected in her pupils was the alcove of her training grounds, and those that had inhabited it. That could mean bad news for this era. I'll have to look into it.

Before she could come back to reality on her own, Heartspan thrust her into, via a sudden embrace. At first, she grew stiff and still, unsure what had just transpired. But as their touch lingered, and she felt his warmth..her body and soul softened. Onyx found herself resting her muzzle on his shoulder, tenderly, lovingly nuzzling it. This was a sensation she hadn't felt since she was a filly, and being such, it was long overdo. However, it also stirred the darkness within her, causing it to growl and churn within in disgust. You settle down, now. There are other things that can make me strong. Use this, don't fight it.

Quote :
" So, no looking so sad, we have things to do." he said warmly.

The mare smiled and nodded, being mindful not to strike him with her horn. "You're right, we do." Carefully, she stepped back from him, blushing all the while. "And..thank you."

With a smile, she gestured for him to follow her through the threshold and into the sector. She wandered down the first length of shelves, stopping upon reaching an intersection. "Alright. A simple summoning spell should do." Her red eyes scanned the books around her, while her horn began to shine with a red aura. The amulet.. I seek the Amulet of Restraint. Closing her eyes, Onyx focused on the tome, having seen it once before. She remembered everything from its face, spine and back, and even the manner of scripture within. As she did so, magical tendrils reached out and washed over the room, spreading and darting about to find a match..
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 am

Heartspan followed the mare into the sector, staying just at her side. His eyes roamed across ancient tomes. Manuscripts depicting all manner of arcane subjects lined the shelves. Here was a treasure trove of knowledge. Here and there he would read a title as they made their way down the first aisle. His mind was in three places at once and he was not sure which had precedence. His eyes wandered the texts feeding curiosity while his body seemed more focused on the lingering warmth of Onxy and all the while he had shadow ponies stuck in his mind. He tried as he walked to find the origin for his fear. It was just a hazy impression in his mind, and it frustrated him but at least he had reduced the awe inspiring fear to a simple creepiness. He at least was good in the respect of emotions, being as he was naturally inclined to calmness. Of course life seemed to try to throw many new sensations in his direction, leaving him a conflicted mess in his own mind. He shook his head at the thought, he really needed to sort himself out he admitted thoughtfully. He absently rubbed the shoulder where Onyx had nuzzled and a small blush crept to his cheeks as they paused at the first intersection of shelving.

"Alright. A simple summoning spell should do."

he looked over at the mare as her magic ignited and flowed out among the shelves. He felt bad for having made her look so sad, but it really hadn't been intended. He had not answered her question about the shadow ponies either, but he really didn't have much of an answer. He himself was not certain whether it had been a spell he had seen or something other than this. Looking at her he smiled forgetting for the moment about shadows and other such things.

They really had a lot of fundamental things in common and it made being around her so enjoyable. He had to suppress a laugh thinking how they were in some dangerous mission and yet to him it was more just like an outing to the park. Of course the thought of her warmly nuzzling him brought a yet deeper shade to his already crimson cheeks. He shook his head, he had important things to be about, and then he just went right back to staring at his friend. Her eyes were closed so at least she wouldn't see him. So, for just a moment he wondered what it might feel like to kiss this spellcaster. To feel their lips touch and to taste the warmth of mouth. He really had to shake his head then. It was hard to banish such enticing thoughts.

Then again, he thought as he stood there, at least these enticing thoughts banished all of his other less than desirable thoughts and confusions. The cycle of his mind began once again as he once more fell into the darkness of memory. Images of the moon, shadows, and various differences between now and a few months back assailed him mind and his hoof dropped back to the floor. He thought back and aside from the gem he could not remember anything good or anypony except those with whom he had some grudge and yet from just these few weeks his mind was filled with interesting and enjoyable memories. He had pieced it together long before, the inconsistency was the cause of magical rebound and failed spellcraft but what he could not figure out was what had gone wrong in the casting and how he had managed to fix it in order to obtain his finished product. He had meant to figure it all out , to sit and really figure things out, but in the end he had simply pressed forward with his plans. Now he was beginning to really regret that move, but in Onyx perhaps he had found someone who might be able to shed some light considering her gift with magic. He smiled at the sudden realization that his new friend was really gifted and so his cycle continued to its origin point as he considered once again her many good qualities and having forgotten their mission just a little.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 am

In her mind's eye, she could see the various texts, tomes and scrolls her magical tendrils washed past. Their movement was rapid but fluent, like the waves of a choppy ocean. They lingered over certain targets that spoke of amulets, or those which had some scripture concerning restraint, but they had as of yet to find one that combined the two aspects. As she stood there, stiff as stone, she could feel her coat tingling in alarm. I'm so close.. Just a little bit longer... She suppressed the sensation, which was intensifying. I've almost locked on to it..

One of her shadows sped into the room, its raw speed opening the covers and stirring the pages of many books as it passed. It beelined for the unicorn, intent on getting her attention. Upon smashing into her own cast shadow, all of the creature's sights, sounds and comprehension came racing to the front of her mind. Her eyes burst open just as the red seeker tendrils wrapped around the body of a leather-bound text. She suddenly burst forward into a full gallop, her armor clanking and pinging in protest.

The distraction had cause her tentacles to disperse, and the book had started to free-fall from the uppermost section of a shelf. Onyx pumped her muscles, calling for their maximum power, then kicked off with her hind hooves. As she cascaded through the air, the tome landed perfectly into the satchel on her side- the oncoming wind had blown back her cloak enough to expose it. Feeling the weight tug her down, she smiled to herself as all four hooves came down together and she skid to a stop. Before she had a chance to praise herself, the shadow's memory rushed back.

"The guards have stirred. Shifts are changing. Princess Luna is preparing to lower the moon so her sister can raise the sun." The mare called down to Heartspan. "We either need to hide for a while, or leave immediately. It would be less suspicious for the guards to find us here 'studying' well after the dawn has come, but they could discover us in our wait." As she turned and started to trot back to him, two more shadow ponies penetrated the room and were absorbed by her own. Momentarily, she paused, gathering their own accounts. "The ponies are well rested and alert. The Pegasi won't be an issue, but the unicorns could well detect us with their magic."

Fortunately, the absorption of her spell had helped replenish her magical energy. Onyx stood before him tall and strong, and ready to hear his suggestions.
Back to top Go down
shinigami3

shinigami3

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Heartspan was so centered on his own thoughts that he hardly noticed the first of her returning shadows. It wasn't until her eyes shot open that heartspan could really put the two pieces together. He watched in a sort of stunned way as her spell fell apart and she bolted deeper down the aisle of shelving. She leaped high into the air catching a falling text within the confines of her saddle bag. Her armor glinted, creaking and groaning with her movements.

"The guards have stirred. Shifts are changing. Princess Luna is preparing to lower the moon so her sister can raise the sun."

"We either need to hide for a while, or leave immediately. It would be less suspicious for the guards to find us here 'studying' well after the dawn has come, but they could discover us in our wait."

her words took a few moments to register and as she trotted up to him he watched her gather up two more shadow ponies, after which she related their accounts.

"The ponies are well rested and alert. The Pegasi won't be an issue, but the unicorns could well detect us with their magic."

he stared at her for a moment a deep blush coming to his face as he realized how badly he had been caught off guard. The look of her armored form leaping through the air with practiced ease was heart pumping and exciting.

“ Er...well....hmmm” he started as his mind slowly began to function correctly “ if we take that text we have a greater chance of not getting back in. however since we know where it is at we can come back for it later in the day. For now we can hide in the vaults and there I can search for some things. Then we can take all of it at once and be done with this library. “

he weighed the chances of getting caught and down in the vaults it was less likely though they would have to work to get past magical wardings. Efficiency was key in this as far as he was concerned. He was not too concerned with running into guards he even began to formulate a plan for just such an occasion.

“ I don't think the guards will be too big a threat as long as they question us first and report what they find second. Raising the alarm is bad running into guards not necessarily and I have just the attack in mind for such an occasion so I think we will be fairly safe. “ he offered a little shyly.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr Botanica

Zephyr Botanica

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Quote :
“ Er...well....hmmm” he started as his mind slowly began to function correctly “ if we take that text we have a greater chance of not getting back in. however since we know where it is at we can come back for it later in the day. For now we can hide in the vaults and there I can search for some things. Then we can take all of it at once and be done with this library. “

She blinked, feeling rather foolish for not having considered that herself. Then, with a quiet calm, she reached into her saddle bag and carefully pulled out the tome. With a few steps to the right, the unicorn was able to place it on a nearby table, then set beside it a piece of parchment, a quill and some ink. His suggestion had her think of an entirely different plan- one so simple, she was too embarrass to share (it would make her seem rather stupid for not considering it first). All she needed of the book were two passages- how the Amulet was created, and where it might currently reside.

Conjuring magic to her horn caused it to beam with a red glow, which also surrounded her instruments, and the tome. She telekenetically had the cover open and pages turn to the required text, then manually removed the cork from her glass ink jar, into which the quill's sharp tip dipped. A simple copying spell was then called forth, allowing the tool to write the wanted information on its own, leaving her to turn to Heartspan once more, to whom she smiled. "In a matter of minutes, I'll be set here, and we can head to the vaults. Perhaps down there I might find something useful as well." Such as the components to create her amulet. Or better yet- her crystal.

Quote :
“ I don't think the guards will be too big a threat as long as they question us first and report what they find second. Raising the alarm is bad running into guards not necessarily and I have just the attack in mind for such an occasion so I think we will be fairly safe. “ he offered a little shyly.

Her eyes moved from his to the space beside him. If they question us first, I have the chance to erase their memories. Or implant false ones.They returned to the colt. But I don't want him to mistrust me. If he saw me doing that, he might wonder if I've ever used it on him. It's a difficult technique, and a risky one, to begin with. But I don't want to lose his trust. Onyx bit her lower lip as she pondered the possibilities. His mentioning of an attack made her quirk a brow. "Oh? An attack? You've made me quite curious as to what you have in mind."

Offensive magic was something the darkness was quite fond of creating. However, it wasn't as potent as that of the light- while the light could launch piercing currents of concentrated energy, the darkness used more subtle, and much crueler techniques. They were based on fear, anger and hatred. While she could manifest a dark beam, it was meant more to corrupt the flesh slowly than outright incinerate it. She also possessed techniques of deception, horror and stealth- all of which the darkness commanded. But the unicorn was not planning on attacking anypony anytime soon. Not unless the need was dire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Tomes, Darker Tides    Dark Tomes, Darker Tides  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Tomes, Darker Tides
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next